What is a Designer

What is a Graphic Designer?

I believe that a designer is an orchestrator, and creator of type and image elements forming them into a unified communicator that is clear, understandable, and involving for the viewer to participate with.


What attributes must he or she possess today 

to be impactful and successful?

I think that in order to be more then a mediocre designer you must 

understand first the principles of design. The arsenal that the designer needs includes a knowledge of cutting edge ways of displaying your design and having it interact with the public.

The ideal designer needs to design without inhibitions, study the clients and 

Receivers find out what they are like, what they want, and what makes them interested and then use that information in the design. A good designer will also be knowledgeable in the zeitgeist of the time and place when he is designing for, so he can better communicate the message he is trying to express.


What do you think Graphic Design will look 

like in the next ten years?

I think that design principles will stay the same. I do believe other principles will be made and integrated into the study of design according to the different types of media which will be used to transmit the information. I believe design will become much more personal, and that it will be even more present around us in everything we do. I think the direction that design will take is becoming more interactive allowing the viewer to interact, or play with the design and develop more of a relationship then only just looking at it. I don’t believe that the profession will die off but that it will transform, As long as people are selling things or trying to 

communicate a message or idea to someone there will be a need for designers.


What do I need to do to be prepared?

I need to be one of the best designers, whether that be through skill, creativity, or ambition. To be prepared I need to develop my own personal creative process, practice with the various softwares consistantly, make in school for work or on my own time different design to make me a better rounded designer (print design,web design, interactive design, exhibition design, ect) I also need to network with other designers so I can form relationships that will help me in the professional world. I have a design job right now, but would like to move on to more professional design firms before entering into the professional field.